Sunday, January 10, 2010

For Those With Injuries

I realize that this blog posting is an advertisement for the Blue World Pool, but it reminded me of the astounding benefits of swimming when injured. The blogger writes, "when a friend of mine injured his ankle during a workout he was asked to restrict his physical exercises by his physician. A complete outdoor person, he found it difficult to go through his day without his daily routine of workouts. It was during this time that he discovered the multiple benefits of swimming as it was a safe form of physical exertion even with an injured ankle".

For those with back injuries, swimming offers relief from the constant compounding caused on the spine by gravity. When I was younger and suffering from scoliosis, my doctor recommended swimming as the perfect relief for my back pain. My best friend suffered from her own injury at that time, having damaged her knee during an unintended slide tackle while playing soccer. Again, the prescription for the sports-minded individual was the pool. Swimming puts less pressure on the joints than other sports but still provides a full body work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment